Victorian Seniors card for free travel and 5% discounts everyday spending

SeniorSage

Administrator
One of the advantages of being of "mature years" is the access you have to the various discounts and deals specifically targeted to senior citizens. These discounts are offered by all kinds of organisations - state & federal government, big corporates, and even your small local businesses.

As I live in Melbourne, this post will focus on the deals available to seniors in Victoria. Similar deals would certainly be available in other states - so feel free to add to this thread by posting deals in your state too.

The first step would be to apply for a Seniors Card. All Victorian residents over 60 who are either retired or working less than 35 hours a week can apply. It's simple and you can apply online at Apply for a card. You will receive your physical card within a few weeks. (You can actually apply 3 weeks before you turn 60, to ensure that you receive the card when you are 60!) This card is your ticket to discounted goods & services, so be sure to get one.

For me personally, the biggest savings are with public transport. Because in addition to receiving the Seniors card, you also receive a Seniors Myki card which gives you free (!) travel in metro Melbourne over weekends and a 50% discount on during the week. Depending on your circumstances this benefit alone can save you hundreds of dollars each year! And then there is the free travel vouchers for interstate travel, which I actually haven’t used yet.

There are literally thousands of discounts available. Take a look at the complete directory at Discount directory | Seniors online to see what I mean.

What I find most useful is the 5% discount on WISH gift cards. You get a 5% discount when purchasing the card. So, for example a $1,000 card will cost you just $950. You can then use this card for everyday shopping at Woolworths Supermarkets (and other stores).

Be sure to purchase the card at https://giftcards.woolworths.com.au/member-login?memberId=516100 to get the discount!

For me personally, the biggest savings are with public transport. Because in addition to receiving the Seniors card, you also receive a Seniors Myki card which gives you free (!) travel in metro Melbourne over weekends and a 50% discount on during the week. Depending on your circumstances this benefit alone can save you hundreds of dollars each year! And then there is the free travel vouchers for interstate travel, which I actually haven’t used yet.
The other big transport benefit is that you can get free public transport anywhere in Victoria during the annual Victorian Seniors Festival. This year it's from 1 to 8 October. For Melbourne travel, simply touch on/touch off as you usually do, but your Myki won't be charged!

Back